Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Once upon a time, I found myself

When did I first know that I was a transsexual? That's a bit hard to say, but I've thought about that subject several times and have come to some nice conclusions.
Going back in time using the DeLorean in my head I've travelled back to kindergarten. I can remember the kids in my group pretending to be a marching band. And for some reason I always wanted to be one of the baton girls marching in front of the band. It was around that time I saw Snow White for the first time and I can remember making the "aunts" in the kindergarten tying a little string bow into my hair.
As time went by I started trying out my mom's dresses, as well as "borrowing" clothes (read: stealing. I'm not very proud of that) from my neighbours' daughters who were the same age as me, as well as a couple of my cousins (female cousins, of course).
At around junior high I started wishing I could be like the girls in my classes. I think that was the defining moment as I knew that I wanted to be a women. It wasn't until several years later that I found out about the term 'transsexual' and suddenly realized there was other people like me around the country. I really should try to visit some of those communities.

No comments: