Monday, October 09, 2006

"It is a wise father that knows his own child"

William Shakespeare was a wise man. The topic of this post is one of his quotes about fatherhood. And a quote that somehow fits my situation. Ever since I told my mother about myself she's had a lot to digest. I haven't actually heard from her since that night two weeks ago. In the meantime, my father came home from a hunting trip and also learned about The Letter. They tried calling me a couple of times, but unfortunately I wasn't around to answer the phone. And then they went on a holiday for a week without being able to call me. They got back home again on sunday around 3am, so last night my father gave me a call. He told me that, of course, he was surprised with the revelation, but he wasn't as... shocked (that is the wrong word, since shock is such a strong mental reaction, but when you learn something like this about your son, it will be a small shock)... as my mother was. That was actually very nice to hear. It sounded like he took this very nice. A sign that he might know me better than I thought. Which again brings us back to Shakespeare's quote.
I rate my father right up there with Shakespeare. Not necessarily because of my father's poetry skills, but because he is apparently just as wise.

No comments: